Entering your story is easy to do. Just type!…Your story will appear on a Web page exactly the way you enter it here. You can wrap a word in square brackets to make it appear bold. For example [my story] would show as my story on the Web page containing your story.TIP: Since most people scan Web pages, include your best thoughts in your first paragraph.
If it’s possible maybe your partner could take some time off to help you out for a couple of weeks. It was great when my partner took two weeks off work after our twins were born. This is also great bonding time for daddy and twins.
Remember it will take a few weeks before your two babies realize what the routine is, and it will also change as they grow needing less feeds and less sleep. Generally this will be around 3 months.
5. Everything about parenting is surprising–having multiples is just one of those things. There are always surprises involved with pregnancy and parenthood. You can plan, sure, but most of the time Mother Nature is just going to laugh at those plans. Seriously, do you know a single person whose birth plan actually went according to plan? I don’t. Whether you use fertility treatments or not, whether you’re having a singleton or quads, to a certain extent, parenting is one giant crapshoot. I didn’t plan to have twins. I didn’t plan for my kids to have food allergies, asthma, or autism. On the other hand, I also didn’t plan for them to teach themselves Mandarin Chinese, come up with charity projects on their own, or be die-hard Star Wars fans. Surprises can be difficult, but they can also be amazing.
Content provided on this site is for entertainment or informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical or health, safety, legal or financial advice. Click here for additional information.
Click below and check out great tips and advice from other mothers and parents of Twins!
There is also the possibility of hiring help even for just a couple of days a week, like a nanny or someone to help with household chores.
Tips 0-3 Months for Colic Babies Not rated yetThis is what worked for me with one colicky twin. I have twin girls now three months adjusted. The first weeks and months the 5 s’ from the book happiest …
8. You don’t actually need two of everything. Seriously, don’t freak out too much about the stuff. You don’t really need two of everything. You can get good advice on what’s really helpful and what’s not from members of your local mothers of multiples club, and you can often score secondhand gear and clothes on the cheap at their consignment sales.
It’s hard not to be. Given the deep history many of these women have had with infertility, it’s hard not to be concerned when someone who does infertility is pissed that they’re having twins. I mean, it’s a known possibility, and one that every fertility doctor thoroughly explains. And, it’s not like this couple didn’t know they lived in a one-bedroom apartment when they decided to invest the time, emotional energy, and money into in vitro. A one-bedroom apartment is going to be a tight fit for four people or five people.
**Read more here about newborn baby care from bathing to jaundice and umbilical cord to diapers and more.**
9. No pregnancy is the same, and no baby is the same. You’re worried because your singleton had colic, and colic makes the first months especially hard. But your twins may not have colic; only 20 percent of babies have it, and at least one study found that first-born babies are more likely to have colic. In our family’s case, because we had identified that our twins’ “colic” was really stemming from food allergies, we had our third and fourth children tested for food allergies very early, and they didn’t go through the pain, suffering, and crying their older sisters went through.
Routine routine routine, is the vital ingredient for happy twins and happy parents. You will be surprised how organized you will become, even the most unorganized people (like myself) can become highly efficient and prepared.
Of course the first step is to become acquainted with your new baby twins, twenty toes and twenty fingers, check. Two tiny people are now in your care, the feeling is incredible and overwhelming all wrapped up with love for these two little bundles. Now your twin journey begins…
Advice on Having Twins Not rated yet Advice for Moms with Newborn Twins Feed at the same time whether it is breastfeeding or formula feeding… There is no set schedule for anything …
10. Yes, you will sleep again. You’ll even have sex again. I know that you’ve heard nightmare stories from people who supposedly know what they’re talking about. But their personal experiences are just that: their personal experiences, not mine or yours or anyone else’s.
Recent posts: Justin Bieber’s Pets: Where Are They Now? Beer, Autism, and Hope: When Autism’s Narrow, Focused Interest’ Is a Gift, Not a Symptom There Is an Entire YouTube Channel of Zen Cats and It’s Awesome 22 Things to Do in Philadelphia With Kids
I didn’t see the dad’s original post on Babble. I saw it when it was republished on Huffington Post and made the rounds among my friends. They were, frankly, horrified.
“Our fear is not the new parent fear of the unknown. It’s the smart, informed fear of the known. Our biggest nightmare is that we’ll have colic again, or double colic. This time around, we’re counting down — not like expected parents but like cancer patients with only months to live. Enjoy life while you can, for soon it’s double the diapers, double the feedings. Half of zero sleep is … less than zero?
2. Seek out positive support. It’s hard to avoid negativity when you’re pregnant: everyone’s got a horror story for you. With twins, this is doubly true. Instead of asking about people’s “nightmare” experiences, seek out positive support. Start by visiting the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs (NOMOTC) website. Enter your ZIP Code, and it will find your nearest local chapter. Many chapters allow you to join as “stork members” when you’re pregnant, and have Facebook groups you can join to ask questions and get advice. Some clubs also have mentorship or “big sister” programs that pair up the expectant mom with a mom who has been through the same things. Note: Parents expecting higher-order multiples shouldn’t be turned off by the “twins club” name — you’ll find plenty of triplet, quad, and other higher-order multiple parents at NOMOTC chapters. Another great organization higher-order families should check out is Mothers of Super Twins (MOST).
Some Advice Not rated yetI am a twin. My mother told me, when I was older, that because my twin sister was colic and woke up in the night to eat more often, she would wake me up …
3. Focus on the pregnancy itself. Pregnancy with multiples is higher risk than singleton pregnancy. Focus on the pregnancy, and don’t worry too much about what comes next. Take things day by day. This is good practice for when the babies come: you’ll want to take that day by day, too.
Babble Parenting Pregnancy Entertainment Lifestyle Baby Names Food Baby Showers Video Stuff We Love
My fraternal twin daughters just turned 12. They are amazing, beautiful, intelligent, compassionate young women, and I am grateful to have them in my life. Having survived my twin pregnancy, a premature emergency delivery, a stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, double cases of colic that turned out to be allergy-induced acid reflux, potty-training, and everything else all the way up to teaching them how to shave their armpits, I figured maybe I should offer this couple some advice.
For further advice to help guide your newborns to good sleep, see the newborn sleep problems section at Baby-Sleep-Advice.com
The couple already has a son, so they feel like they know what they’re in for, and it’s not pretty:
Best Baby Product for Newborn Twins Not rated yetFor all those having twins or more arriving soon… my twins are 4 in a few weeks and i can say the most wonderful gift I received by far was a product …
Mostly, though, I was concerned about keeping the pregnancy. All multiple-baby pregnancies are high risk. My primary focus became staying as healthy as possible, and reading everything I could about twin pregnancy and parenting twins.
7. Line up support. Plan out a calendar of help. Even better, ask a friend or family member to do this, so that you don’t have to feel weird or guilty asking for help. If you have family members that might be able to stay with you to help out, sign them up. If you don’t have family around that’s able to do that, consider hiring a mother’s helper. You don’t really need an expensive nanny or a nurse–you just need an extra set of hands. Find a responsible young teen in your neighborhood who can come over every afternoon.
4. Enjoy one-on-one time with your singleton. You’ve only got a few months left of being a family of three. Enjoy that time! Having two babies enter the picture is going to be a huge adjustment for your little one, but he’ll be fine. Take photos of the three of you and create memories. Listen to your son’s concerns and try your best not to show how stressed you are, or else he’ll really think there’s something to worry about. For parents who are expecting their first children, enjoy this time as a couple. Single parent expecting multiples? Enjoy your solitude and revel in the opportunity to pee alone.
**Something to note is identical twins will have similar sleep habits and temperaments whereas fraternal twins could be quite different, making it more of a challenge to sleep your newborn twins at the same time.**
E-mail Address First Name (optional) Then Don’t worry — your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it only to send you Having Twins Today.
My dear expectant parents, all parenting is difficult. Anyone who thinks parenting is easy simply isn’t paying attention. Parenting multiples comes with its own unique challenges, but it also comes with unique joys. My twin daughters, who spoke a language all their own until they were two, are still incredibly close. They have different talents, different strengths and different weaknesses. They are yin and yang: two entirely separate individuals, intimately connected. I consider it a privilege to even witness the bond they have with each other.
Putting your twins to sleep at the same time is important for healthy sleep habits and allows time for you to relax. Having a bedtime routine like having a bath and a bedtime story will help your babies understand the cues to go to sleep.
Swaddling – wrapping your twins will help calm them as it mimics being in the womb.Newborn twins love to be close to each other, after all they are use to one another being around. Sleeping your twins together can be of great comfort.
I had separate cribs for our twin girls but I would sleep them together if they were unsettled, it worked wonders.Allowing your two to fall asleep on their own is vital for good sleep habits now and later.
Sleep (or rest) when they sleep, don’t worry about the house work you need all your energy to care for your baby twins.
Have everything set up and ready to go in their nursery and loads of diapers and wipes at hand before your lovelies arrive. Once your twins arrive home have diapers, wipes and extra clothes all throughout the house and even in the car. You will have everything at arm’s length when you need it.
Read more from Joslyn on Babble and at her blog, stark. raving. mad. mommy. You can also follow Joslyn on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
To start with newborns need to be feed about every 3 hours and will usually sleep a lot, giving you time to rest and recover. To help your newborn twins feel secure just start by doing everything the same for example (in routine) a cuddle, change diaper, feed, burp then back to bed.
6. Know that the first year will be hard, but there will still be joy. Some things are harder with twins, and even more so if they’re born prematurely or have medical issues. My twin girls screamed 80 percent of the time they were awake, with pain from what turned out to be GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), brought on by massive food allergies. They didn’t sleep well. But you know what? There were also many, many moments of joy. If either of you aren’t experiencing any joy, or feel sad most of the time, seek help. Your ob/gyn or general physician should be able to refer you to a psychiatrist that can help with issues of depression after pregnancy. Also, if either of you have a history of depression or anxiety (as I do), now is a great time for a med check and to touch base with your therapist. Put a plan into place for what to do if depression or anxiety symptoms worsen during the pregnancy and after delivery.
Twins Magazine Digital Subscription Click here to visit Stuff 4 Multiples LLC
When my girls arrived I felt extremely tired and lost, having lots of support from family and friends really helped me get through the first couple of months.
Taking care of a newborn let alone two newborns is a scary thought; here my best tips on how to cope with your newborn twins:
Click here to see the rest of the form and complete your submission.
To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.
Do you have a great twin tip or story about how you coped with having newborn twins?Add a photo or two of your little ones too if you like.Share Yours here! Our Quest in Moms helping Moms
When my husband and I found out we were expecting twins, we were a little freaked out. When you daydream about having a baby, you pretty much usually only picture one crib in your nursery. How much stuff would we really need? How do you feed two babies at the same time? I had planned to continue working at least part-time; if we had to put two infants in daycare, my job would no longer be a profit deal.
1. Acknowledge your feelings. Then buck up. I say this with love, and I say this as someone who has struggled with a lifetime of depression and anxiety disorders: I feel like maybe you need Cher’s character in Moonstruck to show up and smack you with a hearty “Snap out of it!” You’re the parent. Give yourself one day for a pity party and then move the hell on. If you find that you can’t do that, then please, for the love of God, get some counseling now to help you with that process.
When cooking a meal cook enough for two dinners and pop one in the freezer. You will have back up dinners ready to heat and eat on those chaotic days. Relax and enjoy, the tiredness will pass and it will get easier, try to focus on that when you’re having a bad day.
Before the arrival of your twins have the cupboards stocked up and even prepare some meals for the freezer. Grocery Shopping – Shopping with your twins can be very difficult. The best way to do the weekly shop is to get someone to look after your baby twins (straight after a feed so they have a nicely full tummy).
If relevant/able you could even do it at night when your partner is home.If you have other children get them involved with caring for the twins. This helps bonding between your children and time to talk with them, maybe you could read a book when reading to your twins.
Talking to other mothers and parents of twins can be a great resource, find a twin group in your neighborhood. Joining a playgroup not specific to twins is also great for your two as they mingle with single babies and children helping them socially.
How to cope with baby twins can be a scary thought, especially if you have premature twins which is common with multiples.
Congratulations! Your newborn twins have come into the world, or maybe you have just found out you are expecting twins ‘Now what do I do, how will I cope?’ is maybe questions you are asking yourself.
Do you have some pictures or graphics to add? Great! Click the button and find the first one on your computer. Select it and click on the button to choose it.Then click on the link if you want to upload up to 3 more images.
My Tips For Newborn Twins * Here are some great tips for coping with newborn twins from a mom of twins. * Only tips I have is no matter what keep their feeds together. If one …
“So tell me how this isn’t going to suck. (Did I mention we live in a one-bedroom apartment?)”
I have twins. As a member of my local Mothers of Multiples club for more than a decade, I have many, many friends with multiples: twins, triplets, quads. I know people with multiple multiples (two sets of twins). I know people who conceived multiples with and without medical assistance. I know people who adopted mutiples; some of them knew they were getting twins, some of them didn’t.
Recently a post appeared on Babble, written by an anonymous father, about how fearful he and his wife are about having twins. He refers to having twins as a “nightmare.” He writes that he and his wife, who conceived the twins through in vitro fertilization after struggling with infertility, are “pissed. And terrified, and angry, and guilty, and regretful.”