To celebrate the new little guy, Bridget & I did a mini newborn photo shoot for my brother & sister-in-law. We figured that since we’ve gotten pretty good at taking photos of inanimate objects like flowers, DIY supplies, and home decor…then a sleeping baby wouldn’t be that hard to capture. Right?
Now I must say we did have a great time taking these photos because it was a new challenge for us both. Will we ever do it again? Probably not. We’ll stick to what we do best. But we did learn a lot over our amateur newborn photo session, and figured we would share those findings with all of you. That way you can improve your home photos of your own baby.
Update: Looking for MORE newborn photography tips? Since creating this post, we added 10 more things to keep in mind when photographing newborns HERE. Here’s a sneak peek….
3. Mama Should be Close By: This is an obvious tip, but make sure the mama (or daddy) is nearby during the photos. Bridget & I were a bit terrified to be left with a newborn anyways, but having mom nearby for feedings or a bottle is crucial to keep the little guy happy. Every 15 minutes or so he had some milk to tide him over through the next round of pics.
Newborn Photography EditingPhotography Tips IphonePhotography ToolsInfant PhotographyLifestyle PhotographyPhotography TutorialsGirl PhotographyPhotography BusinessChildren PhotographyForward
Beautifully styled and expertly posed fine art newborn photography. Home studio located in Springfield, VA.See more
4. Lighting is Key: Whenever we talk about photography, we’re bound to talk about lighting. That’s because there aren’t good photos without good lighting. To keep things simple (see tip #2), we decided to just do bright lighting near a window. Nothing moody here. We took the photos on a sunny day with the curtains open and light flooding into the bedroom. Then we used a white reflector and held it up while taking the photos. That made the lighting softer, and took away any harsh shadows on baby Harry.
We just adore this family and can’t wait to see this little angel grow up along side Big Sister, Ava and Big Brother, Tripp!See more
We’re Casey & Bridget, the bloggers and best friends behind The DIY Playbook. We can’t live without a to-do list, use way too many emojis, and believe anyone can create a home that they love!
1. It’s Getting HOT in Here: I don’t know much about babies, but I do know that they like to be snuggly and warm. Whenever we took Harry Jr. out of his swaddle and into the crisp air, he wasn’t a happy camper. So we turned the air off, let the sunshine in, and let the bedroom get nice and steamy. Then, during the pics where he was just in his diaper (what a cutie) we hid a heating pad under the blanket. He stayed warm during the photos, and then mom wrapped him up in a big blanket as we changed things up for the next round of shots. Warm baby = happy baby = better photos.
Newborn PicsNewborn PicturesNewborn Baby CareNewborn BabiesBaby PicturesNewbornsSibling PicsInfant PhotosMaternity PicturesForward
Super girly pink themed newborn photo shoot in studio with 10 day old Emily. Sunny S-H Photography WinnipegSee more
newborn pictures with a pet >> lifestyle newborn picture ideas
6. Wear Neutral Colors: We can’t claim this tip as our own. Instead my amazingly talented wedding photographer passed this along to us. Whenever you’re taking photos, be aware of what you’re wearing. If you wear a red shirt, those red tones can be picked up on the object you’re shooting! Instead, opt for neutral colors (we go for grays & whites) and you’ll see a difference in the color tone of your pics. Who knew that a simple wardrobe change could make your photos look better?!
Tips to edit newborn skin for soft skin, less red and create a beautiful newborn image for babies *** Learn more by visiting the image link.
My Only Sunshine Photography, Newborn Photography Adelaide, SA Hills (newborn baby photography girl)See more
Wrong! We have a new appreciation for all newborn photographers out there. Holy moley, it’s a hard job. Give us immobile objects any day over a tiny human who moves, cries, and wiggles all over the place.
And if you want perfect photos of your new child, then by all means HIRE A PRO! They know what they’re doing and it can be worth the money for their expertise. (Just be sure to set the date way in advance so you can get on their schedule when the baby is still… a baby!)
Newborn Girl PicturesNewborn Girl PhotosNewborn PosingBaby PicturesNewborn Girl PhotographyNewborn PhotographerBaby Photo ShootsRainbow BabyBabies PicsForward
8. Have Fun with It: At the end of the day, you’re trying to capture something so precious and beautiful…a child! Relax, have fun with it, and keep the baby as happy as possible.
Mini Sessions, Children Photography, Newborn Photography, Baby Poses, Babies Pics, Newborn Photos, Photo Ideas, Birth, FamiliesSee more
Adorable 3 month old baby boy dancing with bears on books with sign. Books are my happy place. Baby and bears have nerd glasses and bow ties. Precious Baby ImaginArt by Angela Forker creative photography unique amazing cute funny Fort Wayne New Haven IndianaSee more
Tiny Aleksander ❤️ Sleeping so peacefully. Aleksander was also participating in my bts video, which is available on my fb page:…See more
Baby Girl PicturesNewborn PicturesBaby PhotosNewborn PicsInfant PhotosNewborn BabiesFamily PhotosNewborn Photography BoysNewborn SessionForward
Newborn Baby PhotographyNewborn PosesNewborn PhotographerNewborn ShootBaby Girl NewbornFamily PhotographyPhotography IdeasNewbornsBaby Girl PosesForward
Capturing newborn photography of a single baby is both challenging and exciting, what about multiple babies? The mission takes a ton of skill and love! If you are planning a photo session for your newborn twins, triplets, or perhaps a group photo with your best friend’s baby who happened to be born around the same … #newbornphotographySee more
2. Keep it Simple: We’ve all seen extravagant newborn photos with props, crazy backgrounds, and moody lighting. Since you’re doing this yourself as a rookie, then keep it simple. A cozy blanket or a white sheet should work just fine. The attention should be on the baby…not on the stuff surrounding the baby. We kept things fairly simple throughout the entire session and some of the best photos were the simplest ones.
For your information, here is our all-time favorite photo equipment & what we use to take all of our pictures (affiliate links used): Our Camera with this lens and this lens is what we started with This lens was a splurge but we’re obsessed with it! This reflector is really helpful for newborn photography We have this light kit, but don’t really use it for baby pictures Here’s a post outlining how we use all of our photography equipment! And if you don’t have a newborn.
.but still want some family photos…we suggest this post with tips for taking family photos!
Newborn ShootNewborn PicsFoto NewbornNewborn Baby TipsNewborn Posing GuideHospital Newborn PhotosBaby PosesNewborn Baby PicturesPosing NewbornsForward
7. Give Yourself Plenty of Time: We thought the pictures of Harry Jr. would take about an hour to 1.5 hours. Boy were we wrong. Again it’s that whole moving, crying, wiggling thing that happens when you’re shooting a person and not a vase of flowers. We would shoot pics for a few minutes, Harry Jr. would cry, and he would need to be soothed for about 10-15 minutes before doing it all over again. Plus, when crying did happen his body would get all red and puffy and we wanted to wait until he relaxed a bit. So moral of the story…give yourself plenty of time so you can have a stress free photo session. (Okay maybe not stress-free…but less stressful!)
5. Make Some Noise: Again, I don’t know much about babies….but my nephew is all about soothing noises. I put some white noise on my iphone and placed it behind him in some of the photos. Those calming noises kept him happy & quiet (for the most part…)
newborn photographer, newborn photography, chicago newborn photographer, chicago newborn photography, best newborn photographer, best newborn photography, best chicago newborn photographer, best chicago newborn photography, newborn girl photographer, newborn girl photography, chicago newborn girl photographer, chicago newborn girl photographySee more
…my nephew, Harry Jr. Isn’t he just gorgeous? Sigh. I’m in love.
Kelly Kristine Photography | Newborn Baby Girl and FlowersSee more